To me, this sounded like the perfect “goodbye winter, hello spring” lunch or dinner to have ready for us when we come back in from playing outside!
Crockpot = winter.
Lemon = spring.
Creamy = yes, please, any day. 😀
I love this recipe because it’s so versatile. Check out the recipes plus some easy substitutions below!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tablespoon high heat oil, like coconut or avocado
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (substitute this with raw milk for a reduced fat & cleaner option)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or tapioca, coconut or almond flour if paleo)
- Sprinkle each side of chicken with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. In large skillet over medium high heat melt butter with oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Move onions and garlic to side of pan and add seasoned chicken. Saute for about 2-3 minutes on each side until nicely browned. Transfer to the crock-pot. Add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Remove chicken and cover to keep warm.
- Add cream or milk, mustard and lemon juice to crock pot and whisk. To thicken sauce whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or alternative). Continue to stir until thickened. Add additional sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour creamy lemon sauce over chicken then serve. Enjoy!
Enjoy with your favorite grilled or sautéed veggie!
Originally adopted from Life in the Lofthouse